Support for the New Mom
As your postpartum doula I will be with you at home to help with your emotional recovery from birth, including processing your birth and helping you recognize and process baby blues and postpartum depression.
Continued holistic support is the first line of defense against postpartum depression.
Support for the New Family
A postpartum doula can help the entire family transition through this time of welcoming your new baby as you bond as a family and settle into your new routines. There are new roles that will need to be defined to help you find your new balance.
- Help you and your family formulate your ideas for interaction with your existing support network.
- Help you adjust to your new roles as parents
- Make sure everyone is well fed, rested and feeling supported
- Assist in the care of your new baby and siblings while you two sleep, take a shower or simply eat a quiet meal together. Parents need this space to care for themselves and each other.
- Offer non-medical, physical, emotional and educational support for the whole family.
- Perform light household chores; baby laundry, light meal prep and dishes to insure your home doesn't fall apart as you rest, recover and begin to establish your "new normal"
Help With Your New Baby
The early days with your new baby can be challenging especially if you are
breastfeeding. I am a Board Certified Lactation Consultant who can help you develop your breastfeeding skills. Breastfeeding is like dancing - both partners know the steps but still have to learn how to make those steps work in harmony.
Whether this is your first baby or your fifth I can give you hands-on personal support to help you establish your breastfeeding relationship.
Studies show that women who have breastfeeding support in the early weeks go on to successfully breastfed for a year or more.
If you choose not to breast feed I will support whichever feeding method you prefer. I can help with pumped breast milk, donated breast milk or formula from a bottle.
I will help with newborn care essentials such as calming a fussy baby, tummy time, umbilical cord care, penis care (whether intact or circumcised) bathing and diapering. If you are considering cloth diapers, I can help navigate the maze of information on styles, storage, cleaning and traveling with a cloth-diapered baby.
The need to “baby proof” your home will grow as your baby grows. I can help you assess your needs.
I can help implement any Attachment Parenting methods including baby wearing and co-sleeping.